Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I am here!


I believe moments in life define people and make them who they are. Ever been drawn to someone where you instantly connect without ever having spoken a single word. You become invited into that person's world just for that moment. That moment turns into a life time, transforming itself into your experience to carry with you. Sometimes these moments even become part of you. Something you reflect upon every now and then, maybe in a crowded restaurant amongst all the hustle, you find sanctuary and peace in your thoughts. Today I walked the streets of Denver, streets that JD and his owner call their home. At first I did just as everyone else before me had I walked past not wanting to make eye contact, attempting to avoid the inevitable question.... "Can you spare some change?" As I walked further away, I realized although I consciously made the effort not to, the connection had already been made. With every step I took away from the pair the urge to turn back grew stronger. Wanting to release my mind of the new hold that was placed on it, I went back. As I returned the man smiled and said "His name is JD" looking down towards his dog, "He's an Alaskan Husky". He never once spoke of himself or asked for money just focused on his companion JD. I could hear what he was saying, but for reasons unknown to me I had one over powering my thought, "I am here!". Words were never spoken and yet repeating themselves like a broken record in my mind. Soft at first, then increasingly louder. I continued to try and focus on the man eyes until the words "I am here ", became almost unbearable. I began to question why I ever decided to turn around. It was at that point, I asked if I could take a picture. I was searching for anything that may provide a break from the world I was being engulfed in. He humbly replied, "sure".

It's strange how little you may know about a person and yet how quickly you can be wrapped up in their world. It was not until I stepped back waiting for people to pass, that I realized the message that was being sent to me. Just like any other experience each person will come away with a different conclusion or feeling. The meaning I walked away with is mine and mine alone. Now it's your turn to step back from my world and draw your own conclusion. What you come up with is yours to carry with you on your journey through life.

3 comments:

Phil Romans said...

The philosophy major in me is peeking out on this one:

Humans need humans to reflect themselves at a very basic level. To confirm that they exist if you will...

To ingore someone, that is basically taking away the very basic in human existance.
Knowing this though, humans can't pay attention to EVERYONE otherwise we would explode... so there needs to be a balance between who we pay attention to and who we 'carefully' ingore others.

There are entire branches of pyschologly devoted to these choices...

Coloratura said...

I am just about to post something similar, an experience I had the other night... this was beautiful, thank you for writing about this.

Anonymous said...

So I know this is old but it's pretty interesting to see Phil's comment and then relate it to Dan's. We can't pay attention to everyone but we need that group of people who sees the lady who cleans our bathrooms in our office as a person and genuinely asks her how her day is going.